Hours vary by service.
If you have an immediate emergency,
please dial 9-1-1.


Opening a Restaurant, Grocery or Catering Business
If you plan to open a restaurant, grocery store or catering business in Lexington-Fayette County, these items should help you get there. NOTE: You cannot cater out of a home kitchen.
  • First - if you plan to move into an existing building where a restaurant or grocery has recently closed, contact the the Lexington-Fayette County Health Department at (859) 231-9791 to find out if what you are proposing can be done in the existing structure without a lot of costly renovations. If you plan to move into a building that has never or not recently been a restaurant or grocery, or if you plan to build a new building, contact the Health Department. You will need to submit plumbing plans prior to construction.
  • Second -put your plans (a scaled drawing of your proposal) on paper. A floor plan showing your kitchen layout, equipment and necessary plumbing fixtures is required. A plumbing riser diagram (your licensed plumber can do this) is also required.

    The food safety specialist will review your plans to see if your proposal meets all applicable laws and requirements. If there are any changes to be recommended, it’s easier and less costly for you to make changes before the facility is constructed. Plumbing plans are forwarded to the Division of Plumbing in Frankfort for approval. Once your plans are approved, you may begin construction of your restaurant or grocery. Approval by the local plumbing inspector and the health inspector are required prior to opening for business.
  • Third - you would need to apply for a permit to operate. Call (859) 231-9791 to set up a pre-opening inspection. Permit fees vary according to the type of facility you plan to operate.

Brochures & Handouts

Other resources:

When Should You Close Your Business?

There may be a time when you as the restaurant manager or owner may need to close your establishment immediately.

You should close your restaurant:

  • During a water emergency 

  • If there is a sewage overflow,

  • After a fire, flood, etc.,

  • If you have no electricity,

  • When employee illness or other condtions threaten public health.

If there is a question as to whether or not you should keep your establishment open just call (859) 231-9791 and we will be glad to answer any questions you may have.


Other resources:


Helpful links: LexingtonKy.gov | Be ready, Lexington | CDC | Healthcare 411 | Healthfinder | KY Dept. for Public Health | KY Cabinet for Health & Family Services | KY Dept. for Medicaid Services
No endorsement is intended or made of any hyperlinks, products, services or information either by its inclusion or exclusion from this page or site.

Change in services: Effective May 20, 2014, we are able to provide childhood vaccinations (must live in Fayette County, be 18 years or younger and be uninsured or underinsured). Limited appointments are available daily Monday-Friday, and appointments can be made up to a week in advance by calling the Public Health Clinic at (859) 288-2483.

Our Public Health Clinic at 650 Newtown Pike is no longer able to see patients for the following programs: adult immunizations/physicals and breast/cervical cancer.

Notice of Privacy Practices

(c) Lexington Fayette County Health Department, 2012-14 Terms Of Use Privacy Statement