Students entering public school for the first time as well as 6th grade must have several checkups and immunizations (all of the requirements are listed below). If you have any questions about required immunizations for your child, please call our School Health office at (859) 288-2314.
Middle and High School Students who wish to participate in school athletic teams must have a valid Sports Physical Certificate on file at their school. For more information on sports physicials, visit the Kentucky High School Athletic Association website. Physicals are valid up to one year before the beginning of school or grade entry. All Fayette County kindergarten and sixth-grade students are required to get physicals and immunizations prior to starting classes. Children entering childcare may also require these check-ups. They are valid up to one year prior to school or grade entry.
Kindergarten/Early Start Requirements:
1. A current Kentucky Immunization Certificate indicating:
- Two MMR, at or after age 12 months, second before Kindergarten, between ages 4-6.
- Series of three Hepatitis B vaccines
- Two or three HIB immunizations (according to brand).
- Four doses of DTaP, fourth dose on or after 4th birthday.
- Age appropriate doses of Poliovirus, the final dose on or after 4th birthday.
- Two Varicella (chicken pox) vaccine after the first birthday and the second between ages 4-6 years; or proof of having had the disease.
2. A Physical Examination done within one year prior to or 30 days after entering school.
3. A Kentucky Eye Examination done by a licensed Ophthalmologist or Optometrist by January 1 of the year of enrollment.
4. A Kentucky Dental Examination done by a licensed Dentist or Dental Hygienist is required for all 5 or 6 year olds enrolled in public school, by January 1 of the year of enrollment.
Sixth Grade Requirements:
- A valid Kentucky Immunization Certificate including all of the above immunizations.
- A Tetanus, Diphtheria and Acellular Pertussis (Tdap) booster is required if the student is between 11-12 years of age or older regardless of interval since the last dose of Tetanus.
- A second dose of Varicella (chicken pox) vaccine is required for sixth grade entry.
- One dose of Meningococcal vaccine for sixth grade entry, age 11 or 12 years or older.
- A Physical Examination done within one year prior to or 30 days after entering sixth grade.
Out of State Transfer Students:
- A valid Kentucky Immunization Certificate.
- A physical examination done within one year prior to or 30 days after entering school.
Tuberculosis Skin Test:
- A Tuberculosis skin test or BAMT (Blood Assay for Mycobacterium Tuberculosis) is required to be given to the student and read prior to enrollment in school if the student has lived outside the U.S.A. or Canada for more than 3 months and has not previously been enrolled in a public school in the U.S.A.
- The Tuberculosis skin test must have been performed and read within three months before the date of enrollment. (Exchange students are screened through IAKSS.)
- If the Tuberculosis skin test is reactive, the student must have a chest x-ray and medical examination prior to enrollment.
- Contact your doctor or clinic for an appointment as soon as possible.
- Take all personal immunization records with you to the appointment.
- Deliver, mail or fax the required, completed forms to your child’s school.